First Interview: Oleksandr Zinchenko speaks for the first time as an Arsenal player

Arsenal on Friday officially confirmed the signing of Oleksandr Zinchenko from Manchester City in a £32 million deal on a four year contract.


The Ukrainian left City after six years to reunite with former Manchester City assistant manager, Mikel Arteta, who is now the boss at the Emirates.

The 25-year-old will wear the No. 35 shirt, previously occupied by Gabriel Martinelli, who has switched to the No. 11 earlier in the summer.

Speaking for the first time as the club's latest signing, Zinchenko was asked a lot of questions about his position. Being a versatile player, the fans are eager to know if his arrival won't spell the end for their hopes of signing another midfielder.

Oleksandr Zinchenko on why he signed for Arsenal: “First of all, I would like to say this is a boyhood dream come true, because I was a massive fan when I was a kid. Since Thierry Henry and young Cesc Fabregas was playing here, I was just enjoying watching those games, that Arsenal.”

“I remember that was in Donetsk, when I was at the Shakhtar academy and like I said, it’s a dream come true. I started to love this club, so I am excited and I cannot wait to play for this amazing club.”

Oleksandr Zinchenko on his first impressions upon arriving at Arsenal: “It’s an amazing atmosphere, everyone is so kind and all the staff here are amazing. I heard a lot of good things from Manchester City people about the medical staff, guys working in the kitchen, the players and obviously Gabriel Jesus.”

On former Manchester City teammate, Gabriel Jesus now teammate again at Arsenal: “To be honest, we are close to each other and I love him so much. He’s my big friend and I would like to say he was involved in the discussions and all these things, so he’s told me a lot of good things about this amazing club and about this atmosphere.”

“I’m always in touch with him, even when he was at City or when he left, so I was always with him.”


On Mikel Arteta: “I would say it’s the most important role in my decision [to sign for Arsenal] because I’ve known Mister for a while, I used to work with him at Manchester City. Since the first day at City I knew that he’s going to be a very good manager.”

“The way he can see football, especially I was watching the last season of Arsenal’s games and I was really enjoying it. You can see in the style, the picture of the game, so I would love to see it [while] playing and being involved!”

“The way we were working together [at City], I was so impressed. I remember how many times we were working hard in the training sessions and then straight after with individual stuff. I took a lot from the manager and I hope I can take even more.”

On his best position: “Wherever the manager is going to see me on the pitches. It’s the simple answer but it’s true, even if the manager tells me one day I need to be goalkeeper, I will be there.”

Oleksandr Zinchenko on if Arteta has told him about his role: “Yes, we spoke about my role in this team, but I would like to keep it private and then we are going to see.”

“I’m not here just to waste my time and the time of Arsenal because the club is always in front of everyone. I am here to achieve big things and I hope we can win some titles and I hope we are going to fight for every title in which we are going to be involved.”

“I’m ready for another challenge. Even from the last season, I was watching Arsenal’s games and I could smell it’s coming, you know? The team is growing up so quickly and I think it’s time. It’s time to do our best and to achieve something big.”

Oleksandr Zinchenko on being Arsenal’s second Ukrainian after Oleg Luzhny: “I’m so proud to be honest. He’s absolutely a Ukrainian legend and unfortunately I don’t know him personally, I didn’t have that opportunity yet, but I heard a lot of good things about him and I’m so proud.”


Oleksandr Zinchenko on wearing the Arsenal kit: “One hundred per cent [I’m looking forward to it]. You found that picture from eight or nine years ago, wearing the t-shirt. I remember exactly that day, I really liked how it suited me. I really enjoy it, even now, sitting with you.”

“It’s unbelievable, honestly, like I said, it’s a dream come true and since I was a kid I couldn’t even dream about it, but now it’s time, so I’m so happy.”

Arsenal face Chelsea in the early hours of Sunday and hopeful Zinchenko will be involved and if not, another chance to play a preseason game comes on Saturday, when they host Sevilla in London in the Emirates Cup friendly.


Author: Kehinde Hassan Afolabi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ralf Rangnick proffered a permanent solution but United choose to make more casualties with Erik Ten Hag

Doping in sports and the popular culprits in football

A sign of what is to come but no excuse for Chelsea's late capitulation in the London derby